I also really loved eating them. :)
Recipe from: 250 Treasured Country Desserts
1/2 cup butter- Room Temp
1 1/2 cup sugar
4 large egg Whites
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1. Preheat the your oven to 350 degrees and prepare your muffin pans by putting a liner in each cup. You will need two 12-cup pans as this recipe makes 24 cupcakes. You can use the same pan twice, it will just slow you down a little bit.
2. Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg whites, one at a time, until well combined and light. Beat in the vanilla. Scrape the bowl.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl and add, a little at a time, into the butter mixture. Mix for around two minutes. Add milk gradually and beat at high speed until fluffy and smooth, about 2 minutes. Taste the batter. It is delicious. Don't take my word for it, go ahead, try it for yourself.
4. Spoon half of the mixture into a large pastry bag. Cut off the tip of the bag and twist the top, making sure the air is out of the bag. Use the pastry bag to neatly and uniformly distribute the batter into the paper liners.
5. Bake for about 20 minutes. Oven times vary but mine were done at exactly twenty minutes, exactly like the book said.
6. Cool the pan on a wire rack for ten minutes. Using a small spatula or knife, remove the cupcakes from the pan. Finish cooling on wire racks.
7. Frost as desired.
The frosting I used was a simple chocolate frosting recipe from allrecipes.com.